Burning Regulations

  • Burning permits are required for all open burning! It is open burning if the material burned is not contained in an enclosed chamber. Obtain permit by calling the City of Mason at 517.676.9155.
  • Unsupervised and unauthorized fires will be extinguished, and you will be billed for the fire run.
  • All fires must be supervised at all times by an adult (18 years or older).
  • There is absolutely NO open burning allowed within 1400 feet outside of the city limits of Mason.
  • No burning should be done in extremely dry or windy (greater than 10 mph) conditions. You should not burn when the wind is in such a direction that smoke will be an annoyance to neighbors.
  • Open Burning  or burning in a barrel or enclosure is NOT Permitted of the following: No household waste that contains plastics, rubber, foam; building materials, plastics, rubber or rubber products, chemicals, asphalt, chemically treated or painted wood products, textiles, electronics, or other hazardous materials. Burning these materials can release harmful emissions and pose fire risks.
  • You do not need a permit to burn in trash barrels. However, the law requires that you have a ½ inch mesh cover on your barrel at the time of burning.
  • Hours for burning brush will be from sunrise to sunset. Absolutely no burning after dark.
  • Recreational Campfires: No burning between 12 midnight and 7 a.m. Fires must be attended at all times and extinguishing equipment must be nearby. Fires shall not exceed 36 inches in diameter and flame height shall not exceed 24 inches from the ground surrounding the device or pit. No burning permit is required.
  • Burning permits are not required for barbecue grills or barbecue pits